Tuesday 14 February 2012

Sunday at Sandwell...

So after the exertions of Saturday's trip to Norfolk, I was in the mood for a relaxed trip down to the Valley for a look around. After arriving I spent about an hour chatting to some other volunteers that I hadn't seen in a while and eventually headed out to see what was about.

The usual suspects were in the usual places - wigeon on the river bend, siskin doing circles over the reedbed area, teal up river a little way - but with the exciting additions of a couple of great spotted woodpeckers and a sparrowhawk hurtling through the bushes next to the Marsh Screen. I ambled up to the feeding station where again all the regular candidates were laying their claims to the food, great tits, blue tits, a willow tit, chaffinches, greenfinches, bullfinches, dunnocks, robins, blackbirds, woodpigeons and squirrels.

Dunnock - RSPB Sandwell Valley - Feb. 2012 - Mike Ixer
While admiring the various scuffles which were breaking out around the table, I got a text asking if I could come down to the hide to help identify a mystery water bird - intriguing!

I raced down and entered the hide to find people gathered around looking at the area of open (non-frozen) water to the right of the hide. "We think it is a smew, but we're not 100%". I looked through the scope and sure enough there was a redhead smew swimming around quite happily amongst a pair of goldeneye and it's cousins, the 18+ goosander.

Smew - RSPB Sandwell Valley - Feb. 2012 - Mike Ixer
After an afternoon of unexpectedly manning the hide - I had talked to enough people and admired the bird enough to come to the conclusion that it was probably an immature male and that it was the first in the Valley for about a decade (or so I'm told).

So after that excitement I wandered back up to the temporary centre again via the feeding station and added reed bunting and coal tit to the days feeder species. It was the first coal tit I had seen around the feeders for a while - cold weather driven them further south maybe?

Anyway, that was a great way to waste a Sunday - couldn't recommend it more!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike
    I brought this up in the hide, but i dont think this bird is a 1w drk as people were saying, a first winter drake's lores should not be black (as this birds is) and its belly should be a greyish colour for 1st winter,but it shows the white belly of adult female (i have a video which i will post on the blog which shows this), anyway, thats just my thoughts, hopefully it sticks around for abit longer to see if it stays the same or becomes more male like!
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been under discussion quite abit - I was in yesterday as well and these points were raised so I've been left slightly unsure. There are times when the bird shows quite a lot of white on the flanks and also it seems a bit more bulky than you might expect to see a female. But I would certainly agree with all the points you make - and as you say, we will have to wait and see if it moults at all.

    ReplyDelete